- NCR Corp. announced it acquired BEC, said to be a leading provider in Colorado of point-of-sale technology for the hospitality industry. BEC, which accounts for 2,600 sites, has been an NCR reseller for 23 years. Terms were not announced.
- After years of unsuccessful attempts to win government approval to operate in China, Mastercard Inc. is now partnering with a Chinese company with close ties to the regulatory agency in charge of approving card businesses, The Wall Street Journal reported. In November, American Express Co. received a preparatory approval for a clearing-and-settlement license, making it the first U.S. payment card network to do so.
- Digital Cash Inc. USA, a unit of Future Age Solutions Pte Ltd. Singapore, introduced Digital Wallet, a device designed to facilitate person-to-person payments for the blind.
- Merchant processor North Country Business Products said malware deployed at some of its client restaurants potentially collected credit and debit card numbers, expiration dates, and verification codes between Jan. 3 and Jan. 24. The breach affected about 135 locations, especially those of the Dunn Brothers Coffee chain in Minnesota. Restaurants in 14 other states also were affected.
- Processor Fiserv Inc. said it joined Financial Data Exchange, a non-profit formed to establish information-sharing and security standards in the financial sector, as a board member.
- Visa Inc. announced it and Planeta Informatica Ltda, a transit-technology provider, launched the Visa Secure Access Module to make it easier for transit agencies and operators to offer tap-and-pay with a contactless card, phone, or wearable device without replacing turnstiles or terminal hardware. Metro Rio, a transit agency in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, will use the tech when it adds contactless acceptance beginning in April.
- Cross-border payments specialist Payoneer expanded its Capital Advance service, which offers working capital to e-commerce merchants.
- Installment-payments provider Splitit said Andrew Pipolo, a former PayPal Holdings Inc. managing director, will lead its Australian and Asia Pacific strategy.
The future of digital payments is being created now with the adoption of contactless payments, …