- Retail spending, except for automotive and gas, increased 5.4% in September year-over-year, Mastercard Inc. said in its latest SpendingPulse report. E-commerce sales were up 11.5% over last year for the same period.
- Sila Inc., a fintech software platform, has combined forces with Arcus Inc., a payments-technology firm, to allow businesses to make payments via application programming interfaces to more than 18,000 U.S. billers.
- PickleJar Holdings Inc., a tipping application for artists and content creators, launched TipTopper, which relies on QR codes to allow patrons to pay contactless tips to musicians and other performers.
- Holland Casino has selected payments provider Nuvei Corp. to help launch what is said to be the first online casino in the Netherlands
- Be Mobile, a challenger bank, said it has joined Visa Inc.’s Fintech Fast Track Program to issue Visa cards. The program enables startups to access the VisaNet network to launch payments products.
- LQwD FinTech Corp., a technology company supporting blockchain technology, said it has launched routing nodes for the Lightning Network, a blockchain layer that purports to ease and speed up Bitcoin transactions. Nodes on the Lightning Network have grown 77% so far this year, to 27,376, according to numbers cited by LQwD.
- WeLab, a Hong Kong-based fintech, has launched Subscribe+ for Apple Products in that city. The service allows consumers to pay for Apple iPhones and other products in monthly installments, and relies on the new WeLab Pay platform.
- Payments provider Qualpay said it added a text-to-pay capability to its platform.
- Payments provider VizyPay named Jason Bahnsen as general counsel and director of risk and compliance and Mana Thongvanh as director of operations. Bahnsen has been in private practice as a senior litigation attorney. Thongvanh has more than 13 years’ experience as project manager and engineer in the construction field.
The global shortage of semiconductor chips that’s plaguing the makers of point-of-sale terminals and other …