- Jewelry retailer Pandora said it is standing by its 2019 sales guidance despite an eight-hour point-of-sale issue at U.S. and Canadian stores on Black Friday.
- American Express Co. said its Small Business Saturday promotion, which occurred Nov. 30, achieved a record with an estimated $19.6 billion in spending.
- With fewer people carrying cash, the Salvation Army has begun accepting mobile payments at its iconic red kettles via Quick Response codes.
- Consumers’ use of mobile payments with designated default cards during the holiday shopping frenzy could defeat banks’ promotion of their own credit cards with rewards and other inducements, according to some observers.
- Apple Inc. has enabled its Express Mode for Apple Pay transactions on Transport for London (TfL), which includes buses, trams, and subway trains. The feature, already in use in other transit systems, bypasses biometric ID to speed up transactions by allowing users to designate a default card for transit. It works with iPhone 6 and newer models and with Apple Watch.
- Klarna, which offers installment payments at the point of sale for 170,000 merchants in 17 countries, chose Amazon Web Services for cloud services, Amazon announced.
- Online-payments provider Skrill Ltd. introduced a service that allows users to exchange one cryptocurrency for another directly.
With real-time payments comes real-time risk, and now banks and their technology vendors are attacking …