- Buy now, pay later provider Afterpay Ltd. said users’ average ticket increased 30% in the fourth quarter compared to the same period in 2019.
- Affirm Inc. completed its acquisition of PayBright, a buy now, pay later provider in Canada.
- PayPal Holdings Inc. announced a check cashing feature for select Venmo app users. This enables them to have funds from printed, payroll, and government checks deposited directly to their Venmo accounts.
- The New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority completed its contactless OMNY fare payment rollout. The system accepts branded contactless cards and mobile payments from Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and Fitbit Pay.
- Meta Financial Group Inc. said its MetaBank subsidiary will help disburse Economic Impact Payments authorized by the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 through prepaid debit cards.
- Parking-app provider ParkMobile LLC said users will be able to pay for parking at almost 600 spaces on the campus of Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis under a new agreement.
- Accounts payable and payment automation provider AvidXchange has acquired Core Associates, a provider of accounts payable services, invoice approval, document storage and other features. All Core Associates’ customers will have access to AvidXchange’s 680,000 suppliers in the AvidPay Network to facilitate payment processing and give construction businesses multiple electronic payment options for suppliers. Terms were not disclosed.
- Mogo Inc., whose app enables users to buy and sell Bitcoin, reported interest in the digital currency is such that new accounts grew 108% in December compared to the number added in November. For the same period, the dollar value of Bitcoin traded increased 60%.
- United Kingdom-based fintech DNA Payments launched its Pay by Bank app, an online checkout option that lets users pay via the bank app they have on their phone.
Discover Financial Services reported mixed results Thursday for the fourth quarter of 2020. Despite a …