- Square Inc. launched in the United Kingdom, its fourth national market outside the United States and its first in Europe (it already operates in Canada, Japan, and Australia). While the U.K. foothold gives the firm a base from which to expand within the European market, it did not indicate specific expansion plans. It faces competition in Europe with rival mobile point-of-sale provider iZettle, which has been active there for five years.
- MoneyGram International Inc. and Ant Financial Services Group announced the expiration of the waiting period prescribed by the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvement Act of 1976. The expiration satisfies a condition necessary to consummate the merger of the two companies. Rival money-transfer firm Euronet Worldwide has also made an offer for MoneyGram.
- Processor Vantiv Inc. announced its e-commerce services achieved the Oracle Validated Integration designation with Oracle Corp.’s E-Business Suite 12.2 service.
- Visa Inc. said it and Viewpost IP Holdings LLC, a business-to-business payments provider, formed a partnership to bring electronic business payments to Viewpost’s small and mid-size business clients, which includes the use of one-time Visa virtual account numbers.
- Merchant processor JetPay Corp. reported its 2016 revenue grew 30%, to $56.3 million, with fourth-quarter revenue rising 48.8%, to $17.3 million.
- BBVA has joined Hyperledger, an open-source collaboration across business sectors to advance the use of blockchain technology, which underpins various cryptocurrencies.
- Mobile app developer Snappii announced an integration with payments provider Stripe.
- Vending-payments specialist USA Technologies Inc. named Priyanka Singh as its chief financial officer, replacing interim CFO Leland P. Maxwell, who continues on with the company in a senior finance role. Singh previously worked at Global Payments Inc. and Heartland Payment Systems, which Global purchased in 2016.
- Payments provider Payscout Inc. named Jesse Gould as director of sales and business development. Gould comes to Payscout having worked in new business development at Pay.On, which ACI Worldwide Inc. purchased in 2015.
With the Covid-19 pandemic accelerating restaurants’ transition to digital payment technology, processors Shift4 Payments Inc. …