- Boomtown Inc., which provides merchant-support services, raised $12 million in funding led by Telstra Ventures with others participating. The Series B funding will go toward building its Relay Software-as-a-Service platform and additional growth. Boomtown also announced that Robert H.B. Baldwin Jr., a member of the Global Payments Inc. board of directors, joined its board.
- Point-of-sale technology provider Apptizer Inc. said it and PAX Technology Inc. developed a self-ordering kiosk for quick-serve restaurants.
- Mastercard Inc. said it is working with kiosk developer Zivelo to enhance drive-in and drive-through ordering at quick-service restaurants with a voice assistant and a personalized menu that uses Mastercard-developed artificial intelligence. Sonic Drive-In will be the first fast-food chain to test the new service at selected U.S. locations this year.
- Mobile-commerce developer CardFree and Long Range Solutions, a provider of remote-monitoring technology, announced a service that lets customers skip restaurant lines and order from the table using their own mobile device.
- The Center for Financial Services Innovation, a non-profit founded in 2004 with the goal of bringing banking and related services to underbanked and unbanked consumers, renamed itself the Financial Health Network. The organization said its main mission is largely unchanged, but it plans to work with more industries.
- Eight days after the city of Baltimore’s computer system was hit by a ransomware attack, the city’s online-payment and billing systems were still down as of Wednesday, the Associated Press reported.
- Online and mobile ticketing service Eventbrite announced the U.S. launch of Ticketing on Facebook, a service that allows event managers to sell tickets to attendees via the massive social network.
- U.S. credit card balances grew 4% year-over-year in the first quarter to $848 billion, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
Cross-border payments firm PPRO announced its acquisition of Allpago, a payment and gateway provider in …