- Shareholders of payment processor Worldpay Inc. this week voted overwhelmingly in favor of the company’s planned merger with Fidelity National Information Services Inc., which is expected to close in the third quarter.
- The Bancorp Inc., owner of The Bancorp Bank, a major prepaid card issuer, reported gross dollar volume on the bank’s prepaid cards increased 30% year-over-year to $16.6 billion in the second quarter. Prepaid card and related fees grew 13% to $15.8 million.
- Remote-deposit and identity-verification software provider Mitek Systems Inc. reported total revenue increased 36% year-over-year to $21.9 million in its third quarter of fiscal 2019 ended June 30. The net loss decreased to $99,000 from $2.78 million a year earlier.
- Non-cash transactions totaled 90.7 billion in 2018 in the euro area, up 7.9% from 2017, the European Central Bank reported. Of these, cards accounted for 41.4 billion transactions, or 46% of the total, up 13%. The euro area accounted for 544 million payment cards in 2018, up 4%.
- Norwegian Air Shuttle, said to be the largest airline in Scandinavia, plans to begin accepting Bitcoin this fall.
- First American Payment Systems LP named Angela Carranza manager of strategic partnerships. Prior to this, she worked at Priority Payment Systems, Worldpay, and Clearent.
- Facebook Inc.’s WhatsApp messaging service will roll out a payments platform in India later this year, Reuters reported. The move follows a year-long payments pilot in that country, where WhatsApp has an estimated 400 million users.
PayPal Holdings Inc. has made no secret of its push to generate revenue from its …