- TD Ameritrade announced individual investors can instantly fund a brokerage account using Apple Pay through Apple Business Chat. The capability means investors can use a debit card to deposit up to $10,000 per day via Apple Pay, though the limit may vary by bank. The service is much quicker than transferring funds via wire or waiting several days for a check to clear, TD Ameritrade said.
- The recently formed U.S. Faster Payments Council, a payments-industry group, named interim leadership, including Kevin Christensen as acting executive director and interim board chair. Christensen is a senior vice president at the Shazam EFT network.
- PayPal Holdings Inc. appointed marketing veteran Allison Johnson to the new position of executive vice president and chief marketing officer. Johnson was Apple Inc.’s vice president of worldwide marketing communications from 2005 to 2011 and most recently was a founder and managing partner at West, a hybrid marketing and venture-capital firm working with startups.
- Payments provider Yapstone Inc. named Kurt Bilafer executive vice president and chief revenue officer. Bilafer had been general manager for Amazon Pay in the Americas and before that was chief revenue officer at WePay.
- Authentication-technology provider NXT-ID announced it signed a letter of intent for a $16.5 million senior secured term loan. The company’s Fit Pay unit recently said it will begin shipping its Flip device in February. The coin-shaped device allows consumers to convert cryptocurrency to U.S. dollars for purchases. The company intends to spin off Fit Pay along with other assets into a new company called PartX.
- AXS, a ticketing and data- and marketing-services firm operating in the U.S. and Europe, said it is working with PayPal Holdings Inc. to streamline the buying, selling, and transferring of event tickets sold on AXS platforms for fans in the U.S. and United Kingdom. PayPal is now AXS’s official digital-payments provider, and U.S. fans will be able to use PayPal’s Venmo person-to-person payment service for purchases.
- In related news, online-ticketing company Ticketbud unveiled a new mobile-optimized checkout process that includes an enhanced user interface and integrations with Apple Pay and Google Pay.
- Data from ACI Worldwide show a 13% increase in buy-online, pick-up-in-store (BOPIS) fraud attempts during the peak 2018 holiday season (Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday) compared to the year before. The result is based on hundreds of millions of merchant transactions.
- NCR Corp. announced it is integrating the Luxe line of point-of-sale devices from Equinox into its NCR Connected Payments platform.
- Visa Inc. announced its “She’s Next” initiative to support female small-business owners.
It was a rough 2018 for leading ATM network operator Cardtronics plc, but the company’s …