- An affiliate of Elliott Management Corp., a hedge fund that is trying to acquire remote deposit capture software provider Mitek Systems Inc. through a portfolio company, plans to nominate seven director candidates at Mitek’s 2019 shareholder meeting, Mitek reported in a regulatory filing. The meeting date and location hasn’t been announced yet, but Mitek usually holds its annual meetings in early March. Mitek’s board has eight members, so Elliott could gain effective control of the company if five of its nominees win election. Mitek has been resisting unsolicited buyout offers from Elliott-owned ASG Technologies Group Inc., which recently upped its original $10-per-share bid to $11.50 per share in cash.
- Phishers are increasingly using Web page redirects to hide their phishing sites from detection, the Anti-Phishing Working Group reported in its latest “Phishing Activity Trends Report.” In the third quarter, the APWG said 151,014 phishing efforts were detected.
- The Western Union Co. announced an alliance with TerraPay, a mobile-payments switch, to enable mobile-wallet and bank-account payout.
- Entersekt, a financial-technology developer, said it received EMVCo certification for its 3-D Secure 2 access-control server.
- Some 73% of accountants use the automated clearing house and digital banking to pay bills for clients, and more than half no longer use handwritten checks, according to a business-payment survey by Bill.com. Just 6% said they do not use any form of digital payment.
- LaterPay, a service that lets readers buy content online for varying periods of time and pay later, announced it has signed news sites Salon.com and Pueblo Pulp.
- California-based Emergent Technology Holdings LP said it has acquired Interpay Limited, a payments processor in Ghana. With the deal, Emergent’s digital-payments unit, Emergent Payments, now operates in 70 emerging markets. Terms were not announced.
Apple Inc. on Monday is expected to make several major announcements, possibly including one regarding …