- Speculation of a possible buyout apparently is boosting the stock of payment processor Total System Services Inc. (TSYS), according to press reports; one equity analyst recently issued a report saying a buyout of TSYS by processor Fidelity National Information Services Inc. (FIS) would be “a home run.” TSYS is scheduled to release its second-quarter financial results after the market closes today.
- In other TSYS news, the company signed an agreement to provide processing services to Monetary LLC’s network of software developers and merchants. Monetary provides an integrated platform that includes its own payment gateway.
- Bitcoin miners signaled support over the weekend for a proposal that is designed to boost the Bitcoin blockchain’s transaction capacity, which has been strained in recent months by increasing volume. But it could be at least another month before the proposal takes effect, and in the meantime another, more radical, idea to boost capacity could win support, according to Coindesk. Buoyed by progress on the capacity issue, Bitcoin’s price has rallied to the mid $2,000s.
- Cardpool Inc., a gift card exchange and a unit of Blackhawk Network, introduced an e-commerce platform called Cardpool Marketplace to allow individuals to list gift cards for sale along with Cardpool’s inventory.
- Varo Money Inc. has applied for a national bank charter for Varo Bank N.A., which the company says would the first bank in U.S. history set up “for people who want to bank on their smart phones.”
- Subscription payments specialist Recurly Inc. announced an integration with Xero, a cloud-based accounting platform.
- Payment processor Worldpay US announced that users of Finsync, an accounting and payroll platform, can connect their accounts to Worldpay.
- Payment-service provider Computop introduced a decryption-only service for point-to-point encryption payments.
- Regions Bank has introduced a $29-per-year Visa chip-enabled credit card secured by a savings account.
- Industry veteran John Badovinac has joined merchant processor iPayment Inc. as vice president for integrated payments. Badovinac comes to iPayment from Total System Services Inc.
Cardlytics Inc., which provides marketers with payment card purchase information as well as ACH and …